5 important answers to your questions about how to keep your (fur) family healthy and happy!
In this current global pandemic we are all facing very difficult times. We know that you will be worried about your family and friends and how to best care for your cat right now.
We are committed to helping cat parents through this challenge with answers to questions about healthcare and ways to keep your cat as happy as possible.
1.CAN MY CATS GET INFECTED WITH OR TRANSMIT COVID-19?
The good news is that so far, there is only 1 reported case in the world of a cat contaminated with the virus, from an infected owner. This might be the first possible case of human-to-cat transmission and if so, it is extremely rare. There is still no evidence that cats can transmit the virus to humans and it is important that owners should not worry unnecessarily.
But remember, as anything in your home, your cat fur is a surface that could carry the virus. So read carefully our hygiene tips below!
2.WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP MY CAT AND MY FAMILY HEALTHY?
To minimise any possible risk, follow the same hygiene practices with your cat as with other humans:
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly after each contact with your beloved pet (of course, sing “What’s new pussycat” in your head!)
- Do not sneeze or cough in the environment, but into your arm
- Avoid kisses from your furry baby (…and friends and relatives) 😉
- Wash your cat’s bedding and equipment regularly at hot temperatures
- Disinfect your cat’s toilet regularly
3. SINCE EVERYBODY IS STAYING AT HOME, MY CATS BEHAVE DIFFERENTLY. WHY?
Cats can react very sensitive to small changes in the house. Maybe your cat is hiding or scratching the carpet or walls? This can be signs, that your cat is stressed by the new situation.
More people around, less peace and silence for your cat to follow its own routine.
Here are 5 FELIWAY tips to help your cat to cope with the new situation:
- Create elevated hiding spaces for your cat. Your fur baby will love it!
- Teach your kids not to disturb the kitty while it's sleeping, eating or on the toilet
- Treat your cat with something extra nice from time to time: Food is love, right?
- Use FELIWAY Optimum Diffuser to help your cat get along with the new situation
- Don't forget to play your cat’s favourite game
Yes, it really is a lot of trouble to reorganise your life right now, but do not forget to play with your cat regularly. 15 min. every evening is a much better and more satisfying for your cat, than 1 or 2 hours at once every weekend to keep your kitty relaxed.
4. WHAT CAN I DO TO KEEP MY CAT AND MYSELF HAPPY IN UNCERTAIN TIMES?
Try not to panic! Stress is not good for anyone's health. Your cat will feel your worries and will suffer, too.
If possible, keep up the most of your daily routines. Your kitty is your personal Zen master: Cuddling, playing and spending mindful moments together with your beloved family is still the best therapy in uncertain times.
Petting your cat is not a risk factor, we recommend doing that regularly!
If you are staying home with your cat, share your stories on facebook with the #feliwayathome with us!
The FELIWAY team
Links and resources: