How long can I leave my cat alone?
HOW CAN I BEST SUPPORT MY CAT WHEN I LEAVE THEM HOME ALONE?
Essentials for leaving your cat home alone for 2-3 days
Routine changes can be stressful for cats
- Leaving your cat for the weekend often means less attention for your cat, different mealtimes and possibly different people visiting them
Use Feliway Help!
- Releases happy messages into your home for 7 days
- Plug the diffuser in the room where your cat will spend most of their time, ideally 1-2 days before you plan to leave, and leave throughout the weekend
- Covers an area up to 50m2 (approx a 2 bed house)
Ensure your cat can access all their resources
- Provide enough food and water for up to 48 hours
- Make sure your cat has access to their litter trays. There should be enough space to allow your cat to find clean space to toilet during the whole weekend
- Your cat will appreciate being able to access their favourite elevated spots
- Consider activities your cat may enjoy while you are away, such as an activity feeder
Be aware of doors
- When leaving, check that your cat hasn't been accidently shut in somewhere, and that they have access to their favourite room, where FELIWAY Help! is plugged in
Seen on TV
Recommended by vets
+ 1 million Facebook likes
+ 25 years of expertise
Cats are creatures of habit and any change can affect their well-being. To help you understand your cat's mindset we have written from a cat's point of view: Cats don't like change! There are a number of options to consider when you are going away. You could use a cat sitter, take your cat to a cattery, take your cat with you or if for a short time, leave them alone at home. But how can you ensure your cat remains happy whichever option you choose.
Considering a cat sitter or a cattery ?
The choice should be made considering your cat's personality and their preferences. There are pros and cons to having a cat sitter or boarding your cat. Home care is often easier as it allows your cat to stay in their familiar environment and maintain a similar routine to normal. If your looking for a cattery follow our 7 top tips for a puurfect cattery stay for your cat.
Travelling with your cat
We recommend using FELIWAY Spray to help your cat relax whilst travelling. Simply spray the inside of your cat carrier on the top, bottom and each corner at least 15 minutes before travelling and before introducing the cat, this will provide a calming, happier environment that will reassure your cat whilst travelling. Spray once in each corner and two sprays each on the top and bottom of the carrier. To help you understand the best way to travel with your cat read our tops tips on how to travel safely with a cat FELIWAY Help! is the ideal solution for temporary stressful situations. One cartridge lasts 7 days, so is ideal to help reduce signs of stress if you choose to leave your cat home alone for the weekend.The pheromones diffuse quickly (about 15mins) providing comforting messages of safety and security while your furry friend settles and can start to leave their own messages of happiness!